What is Your Most Marketable Skill?

by - 3:00 PM

Hello! I was recently contacted by the good people over at Webucator to contribute a blog post to their current "Most Marketable Skill" campaign, and I am excited to share some thoughts with you all today. First, let's talk Webucator. They are an online service that offers both technological and business training. The skills they offer classes on would all be very helpful for anyone trying to make their way into the workforce. They offer online, on site, and self-paced classes, so there is really something for everyone.
The goal of the "Most Marketable Skill" campaign is to share some thoughts on what is essential for success, and it is all in honor of the class of 2014. I'm still in college, and I've got about 5 years to go when you tack on graduate school. I still think I know a little bit about what it takes to be successful from the experience that I have had at work, at school, and in sports. I'm going to share some "soft skills" with you today which are more on the characteristic side of the spectrum.
Just last week, I talked with you guys about the book #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amuroso. That book got me really inspired to get started on some goals that I have. There was one particular quote that stuck out to me in the chapter about hiring, firing, and staying employed that I thought would apply perfectly to this campaign. Sophia shares some of the things that she looks for when she is doing the hiring, and the main quality she likes is being entrepreneurial. I'll let her explain.
"What I'm getting at here is that you can be entrepreneurial without being an entrepreneur. Entrepreneurial people are passionate about what they do, comfortable with taking risks, and quick at moving on from failures…I want problem solvers who take nothing at face value. I want people who fight for their ideas…And I need people who sometimes, after all of that, hear the word "no" and get right back up to work even harder."

Be passionate.

When you are excited about what you are doing, it won't feel as much like work. My dad always says that quote, "Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." It may be a little cheesy, but it couldn't be more true. Just look at him for example. He started working for NASA in 1986. Twenty seven years later, he is still excited about the work that he does. A job that you are passionate about will get you up in the morning and can give you an opportunity to fulfill a purpose.

Take Risks.

This one isn't my strong suit, but I'm trying to get better. Sometimes, it can feel like a risk to even go in and apply for a job. If you never try, you'll never know what could come out of it. In the workplace, I think taking risks shows a willingness to be creative and open to suggestion. Obviously, you should follow the instructions given to you by your boss first and foremost, but be ready when they want to hear your ideas. Don't be afraid to speak up when they make themselves open to your suggestion. Taking risks is extremely important if you are going to have a creative career. Whether its fashion, art, or beauty, those worlds are always changing and finding new ways to do things. Be willing to put yourself out there, and try them.

Move On.

If you dwell on the times when you failed, you will never get to where you want to be. Do you best to recover quickly, and start brainstorming better ways to handle that problem the next time you are faced with it. If I am struggling with a particular problem that I just can't solve, I step away from it. I'll cross some other tasks on my to-do list, and come back to it with a fresh set of eyes. This has been the best way for me to handle any personal failures. Don't dwell it on, but don't forget about it either. Let yourself learn from it, so you can be more prepared overall.

I know this was a little different than what I am usually sharing, but I hope you enjoyed it just the same. I tried to share the kind of advice that I think I'll find useful in a few years when it is time for me to enter the workforce for real.

I wanted to go ahead and link Webucator again in case you wanted to check them out, so you can do that here. This month they are offering a free course on some Microsoft Office if you want to see that here.  They also have a ton of free tutorials available here.
What do you think is the most marketable skill a job seeker can have?

You May Also Like

0 comments