Let's Talk Tours: The 1975 (5/15)

by - 3:30 PM

In January, I shared some of my favorite albums of 2013 with you. In case you missed it, you can check out that post here! One of those albums was the debut from The 1975. They are a British indie band whose genre I could never describe to you (They have said you can just call them Guitar-n-B). I love that album more today than I did then. Luckily, I was able to grab tickets to the Nashville stop at Marathon Music Works. I thought I would share some pictures and thoughts with you like I did for Bastille!
I went to this show with my lovely friend Nalin. We were going to spend the first part of the day running around in Nashville a bit. That didn't turn out as planned. The atmosphere of downtown Nashville was a lot different than I had ever seen it, and we both got a little nervous. We decided to head to the venue SUPER early, and by early I mean 3 and a half hours before the doors opened. It felt like an eternity sitting out there, but we just didn't know what else to do. After they let us in, we ended up about 3 rows back directly in front of the lead singer Matty Healy's microphone. The opening acts were Sir Sly and Bad Suns who were both great. I'll be sharing some stuff by them in my May favorites next week.
Then, it was finally time for The 1975. They played 19 songs, and their setlist was great. They played every song off the album except for "Is There Somebody Who Can Watch You?" and some of the instrumental tracks. They threw in a few songs from the 4 EPs that had been released in England before the album to round it out.
My show had an age limit of 18 and older, and I am very glad it did. This definitely isn't a show I would just take anybody to. Based on their music, you can assume some things about their lifestyle. If you are looking to take someone younger to this show, be sure to do your research because they are definitely going to see some things that you might want to be prepared for. On stage and in the audience, there was drinking, smoking, and some cursing. If that doesn't bother you, then you should be fine. Personally, I found it to be a little bit distracting from fully appreciating the music. After 31 concerts, I certainly take experiencing the music pretty seriously. I guess it might just be part of portraying a rock and roll image, and they can't change the actions of the crowd that they draw. I know it isn't anything my parents would have wanted to take me to in my early teenage years. Just be sure you know what is coming is the best advice I could give.
Now that I feel like I fulfilled my responsibility to let you know that, I just want to end this section saying that I really did love the show. I was prepared for those things to happen, so it didn't take too much away from the experience for me. They sound incredible live! Their style of music with all of the sounds, synths, and guitars really lends itself to being played on tour. Here are some pictures from the day!





I haven't been able to stop looking at this picture. I'm genuinely obsessed with it.
They are another band that I would enjoy seeing again. I feel like their live show is really going to get bigger and better as they grow in popularity. I'll be interested to see the show they take on the road in the future. 
Have any of you guys been to see anybody on tour recently?

You May Also Like

0 comments