The Purple Hair Project

by - 3:00 PM

Hello! By the title, I have obviously already revealed my big plans for my hair…I went purple! When I got my ombre done, I just caught some sort of hair dye bug (Is that a thing?). Once you have dyed your hair, you realize that it isn't as big of a deal as you thought it was originally. I've seen a lot of cool looking purple hair in my time spent on Pinterest and Tumblr, and I just got the urge to give that a go for a few reasons. First, purple has always been my favorite color. Second, I knew college was the only time that I am "allowed" to have purple hair. I figure that is frowned upon in most work places. Third, the dye my hairdresser used is just a semi-permanent one (washes out in 6-8 weeks), so really why the heck not dye my hair purple? I wanted my purple to be quite subtle, but I was determined to at least attempt it on my whole head. Because the hair on the top of my head is not only a medium brown but has also never been dyed, the chances of the color showing up vibrantly weren't great. (A purple tint is better than nothing in my mind). What I ended up with is a pretty deep purple showing up strongly on my ends (because they were bleached for the ombre) and a very dark brown color on top with a sort of purple sheen that shows up best in natural light. I'm happy with it, and I think purple is something that I will be coming back to in the future. Since this is the first time that I have put an actual pigment in my hair, I will do my best to document the fading process and see how well my color protecting hair products hold up to a real test. So far, it has been fading a little weird, so I'm thinking trying a different dye might be good for next time.

I want to explain the process that happened at the salon when I was getting this done. First off, I washed my hair the night before with the most stripping shampoo I have. I didn't want any product blocking the dye's access to my hair. The process was pretty standard. My hairdresser mixed up the color and then used a brush to apply it over my entire head. Then, I got to don the lovely shower cap you'll see below and sit under a dryer like the old ladies do. My hair was blasted with heat for about 10 minutes. Heat opens up hair cuticles which allows the color to soak in better. The dye was left for another 10 or 15 minutes to develop. Then, she washed my hair a couple of times, blow-dried it, and we were done! Below are some pictures of my visit and, of course, a few to show off my brand new hair color! 
Shout out to my mom for being my salon photographer :)


Saying goodbye to the brown ombre for a little while





Have you ever thought of dying your hair a crazy color?

You May Also Like

0 comments