The Book Nook/3

by - 3:30 PM

Hello! It's about that time again. I've made it through 3 more books, and I'm going to share some thoughts today. These are all very different from each other. Hopefully, you'll find something that is right up your alley. If you want to check them out, my previous posts in the Book Nook series are here and here.

The Maze Runner Series

I recently finished the last two books in the Maze Runner series which like a lot of the books I've talked about is being adapted into a movie that is out on DVD (and it stars Dylan O'Brien as Thomas…Does it get any better? I think not). I actually read The Maze Runner before the news about the movie broke, and I always intended on finishing the series. Seeing that trailer in the theater before TFIOS was just the reminder I needed to go and pick the second one, The Scorch Trials, up. It seems to be a giant trend right now in the Young Adult fiction land to write about future dystopias involving teenagers, and this is another one of those. Actually, I stumbled across Maze Runner on Pinterest when I was checking out a list of books to read if you liked the Hunger Games. Once you get into them, they are definitely page turners. This might be weird, but I love how short the chapters are. The Scorch Trials has 65 chapters in 360 pages, so each chapter is about 5 and a half pages. It makes the reading experience way easier in my opinion. This is the kind of book that you can keep pushing yourself to read "just one more chapter" before you go to bed (even though that is never the truth). The Death Cure was very similar to the second book. With this series, I really struggled with too many questions and not enough answers which is one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to books and TV shows. Honestly, I would really only suggest reading the first book of this series. I loved that one and couldn't put it down. The other two were a lot more of a struggle to get through, and the story got a little too big for its britches in my opinion. Eventually, it was just too much happening to the same person over and over, and it got tiring to deal with. Everything can't go wrong all the time. The trailer for The Maze Runner is below, so you can see if it piques your interest. I found the movie to be a pretty faithful adaptation, but I'd still read the book first.


Girl Online - Zoe Sugg

I bought this book for two reasons: Zoe Sugg wrote it and the cover is adorable. I had high hopes for the story because she had teased it in her announcement video. I flew through this book and, it was incredibly easy to read. If you need something that will only take you a few days to get through, this could be it. In its first week, it sold 78,000 copies which beat Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone and now holds the record for biggest first week for a debut novel. Now, my actual thoughts on the book. First and foremost, this book made me feel old. It is skewed toward a much younger reader than me. Honestly, I would categorize this as early Young Adult fiction if that is a thing. This is a book that preteens and people early into their teens will love. I say all that because it was all a bit overdone and cheesy for me. The story centers around a 15 year old blogger named Penny. Her parents own a wedding planning business which takes her family on a trip to New York City for Christmas. There she meets a boy named Noah, and they start dating kind of. Early on, it is obvious that Noah has a secret that he isn't sharing which adds a roadblock for him and Penny. Don't get me wrong the story is adorable, but it just doesn't feel real at all. There is at least a twist which was unexpected (well only a little). All in all, it's cute and a breeze to read, but it's certainly not life changing in any realm.

Redeeming Love - Francine Rivers

Sometimes, I get in the mood to read a book with a religious message. This time, I went for Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. It is a retelling of the story of the the prophet Hosea but set in the time of the California gold rush. In case you are unfamiliar, the story of Hosea involves him purchasing a prostitute out of her slavery to be his wife and the ups and downs that unfold after that. Hosea served as a representation of God while his wife Gomer represented Israel. This book is about the relationship of Michael Hosea and Angel. This is a beautiful love story and a reminder of God's incredible love for his people. The book had me in tears, and I couldn't put it down. If you are in the mood for a love story, look no further.


What books have you read recently and loved?

You May Also Like

0 comments