Album Review: Midnight Memories - One Direction

by - 8:06 PM

On Mondays, I am going to try to bring you some news from the world of music. Whether it's an album that I have been loving or just one that is getting a lot of buzz, I am going to be sharing my opinion on it. My inner fangirl thinks that the only way to start this series is with the new One Direction album Midnight Memories which dropped today.




All in all, I think it is a great album. I am obviously quite biased, but I think this album really deserves to be listened to before it is judged. They have grown up on this album when it comes to themes (no more crazy, crazy, crazy til we see the sun) and their involvement in the process (On the 18 track Deluxe Edition, there are only 3 tracks that no members helped to write). Their harmonies are on display a bit more on this album. I don't know that I have heard 5 voices blend as well as theirs do. This album feels a lot more equal when it comes to solo times. Up All Night was clearly led by Harry and Liam, and Take Me Home was Harry and Zayn. While those 3 still have a bit more solo time, Midnight Memories is certainly much closer to an equal split. It has a bit more of a rocker edge to it as a whole especially when compared to Up All Night and Take Me Home. It is clear they wrote it with their stadium tour in mind. They even get as close to Mumford & Sons as I have ever heard a boy band get on a few tracks (Story of My Life, Happily, Through the Dark). I think they are slowly moving away from the bubblegum pop that is expected from boy bands. I can't wait to hear these songs on the tour and to see how the general public reacts to it.

Singles so far: Best Song Ever, Story of My Life, Midnight Memories (I think this will be the next one as it is what they are performing the X Factor USA Finale).

Hidden Gems: Through the Dark is my favorite track on the album. It has been stuck in my head since the first time I heard it. It is as close to Mumford & Sons as these boys will ever get, and I love it. It has a beautiful message, and they sound great. Diana is another great one. They are saying what every girl wants to hear, and this one will sound sick in the stadiums. Strong is another one of my favorites because I think everyone can relate to the lyrics of it. I just feel like we all that one person who we are just better around. Don't Forget Where You Belong is my roommate and I's homesick song. When you are missing people, that is the song to go to. Does He Know is my favorite bonus track. It is just irresistible pop in my opinion. I could probably include most of the album in this section to be honest because I have good things to say about almost everything.

Songs you can Skip: Something Great and Right Now. I'm sorry to say it because these are the cowriters that I was most excited about. Something Great was written by Gary Lightbody of Snow Patrol and Harry Styles, and Right Now was written by Ryan Tedder of One Republic with Louis Tomlinson and Liam Payne. To be honest, these are just the most boring tracks on the album. Right Now is growing on me, and I can appreciate the lyrics of Something Great. Even with those things, these are just not up to par with the rest of the album.

Favorite Lines:

  • "Said I had a dirty mouth, but she kissed me like she meant it." (Best Song Ever)
  • "I've been waiting for this time to come around, but baby running after you is like chasing the clouds." (Story of My Life)
  • "I speak a different language, but I still hear your call." (Diana)
  • "Same old shhh but a different day." (Midnight Memories) (This is my current text message ringtone. I'm obsessed with it.)
  • "If you ever feel alone, don't. You are never on your own." (Don't Forget Where You Belong)
  • "When I'm not with you, I'm weaker. Is that so wrong?" (Strong)
  • "You say your a good girl, but I know you would girl." (Little White Lies)
  • "There's no way I can explain your love. It's better than words." (Better Than Words).

All in All: Definitely worth a listen, and I think it shows a lot of growth for One Direction. This album sounds like a boy band who wants to be together for a while to me.


You May Also Like

0 comments